Thoughts on New iPad Delivery (3rd Generation) March 15, 2012Posted by Steven in Apple, gadgets, In-Media.
Tags: gadgets, Hints, shopping
It is no secret: I am a fan of the PC era and also the post PC era! I love using my iPad! It is a gorgeous device, fast, powerful, easy to use and it beats the use of any netbook attempting to compete with it. I was simply blown away how fast I could get things done on a train: Just get the iPad out of its sleeve.. turn it on.. watch a movie.. switch to the email app – and answer some mail.. It’s beautiful!
So also no surprise I ordered the new iPad 3rd generation one day after the keynote (8th March 2012) via the German Apple Online Store. I was one of the lucky ones in the 1 and a half day period where the estimated delivery is the launch day (16th March 2012). Since then I have been trying to figure out if I am really getting my iPad(s) tomorrow and how they are going to reach me. Here are some thoughts on that:
- I actually ordered two iPads both 64GB one with 4G and one WiFi only
- The WiFi model: supposedly shipped with Hermes Logistics Group Germany
- The 4G model: supposedly shipped with UPS
- In my tracking view on ups.com I see that Apple used International Express Saver
- I have checked with the ups.com calculator what that means if one ships a packaged from Amsterdam to Frankfurt (see picture above / and more on that later) and it seems to work: UPS Express Saver offers guaranteed delivery next day by end of day – fingers crossed
- In Apple’s Online order overview they always mentioned the iPads shipped on 10th March / 11th March
- However it seems Apple uses some sort of logistics service to bring the iPads into the Netherlands
- During the time where Apple brings the iPads from China to the Netherlands there is no shipment tracking possible for German customers
- Once the iPads are in Amsterdam – which seemed to be the case some time early 15th March – then tracking via Hermes or UPS becomes possible
so fingers crossed for a timely delivery on 16th March!